Monday, March 23, 2009

Oh, Pure Happiness (inhaled)

Today I had to go to the oral surgeon to have the roots of a molar removed after my new dentist broke the tooth off trying to pull it last Thursday. All weekend I dreaded this visit. I was even such a baby that I had my mommy come along.
I arrived at the office and filled out all the paperwork, and was ushered to THE CHAIR by a very nice lady who I could not stop talking to because I was SO nervous. I told her that this was the case, and she was very nice about it. She toldme that I could have nitrous oxide (which I had never had before). She told me that it would probably make me feel "floaty" and my hands and feet tingle. She instructed me to breathe only through my nose. If I started to breathe through my mouth, the effects would go away immediately. She then hooked a hose to my nose and proceeded with the topical anesthetic. Suddenly, I began floating, and everyone that spoke to me sounded like a speeded up record and I couldn't understand them. I just kept saying "UH HUH", and sucking in through my nose. The dentist numbed with Novocaine in the roof of my mouth, and I could have cared less! I just kept inhaling! He had to drill into the root to get ahold of the tooth, and I kept inhaling. He finished and they took away the lovely gas and I said through the gauze, "Did you get it all?". Of course. I said "YAY!" I know that I was silly, but I did not care. THAT is a dentist appointment I would never dread again! Not that I want to do it again, but a regular dentist will never be allowed to pull my teeth again.
I wonder if they give the lovely gas when cleaning teeth...

1 comment:

  1. Hey I found your blog! Welcome to blogworld (even though I got to you a little late).
    I had the gas once and will never again--even though it felt great during the procedure, when driving home I felt that it would be perfectly fine to drive into oncoming trafic and had to fight not to do so. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete